[cfe-dev] Interest in StringRef'ize APIs Open Project

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Tue May 19 09:44:28 PDT 2015

On 19 May 2015 at 17:31, Richard <legalize at xmission.com> wrote:
> "highly mechanical and repetitive" screams out refactoring tool to me,
> but maybe that's just because I think refactoring tools are so cool.

Hi Richard,

This is not just a renaming refactoring. The trade off between
std::string, char *, StringRef, Twine and SmallString are not trivial,
and teaching any refactoring tool about those will take longer (and be
more mechanical) than the refactoring itself.

It is mechanical, yes, but it's not entirely tedious, and is a good
way to get acquainted with the rest of the code in a non-destructive
way. Discussions about life time of variables and how to optimise that
can be quite entertaining.

cheers,
--renato