[cfe-dev] LLVM IRC channel flooded?

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Tue May 19 08:52:01 PDT 2015

On 19 May 2015 at 15:57, Aaron Ballman <aaron at aaronballman.com> wrote:
> Are you more concerned about the average size of the bot message, or
> the number of times the bots speak up in the channel?

Both. Too many messages are not friendly to IRC bots logging the lines
until I connect. Long messages break the conversation, and make it
really hard to read anything else.

> I like this as well, but do miss having the revision number as part of
> the immediate information (that's how I usually tell whether a red bot
> is an actual problem for one of my commits -- if the revision is too
> old, then I assume it's building my fix and I'm okay).

I could improve with the SVN revision, but in that list are the bots
that should never be red, nor outdated.

If the bot is red before your commit, you will want to know if your
commit added new failures. I'd wish that buildbot would be able to
spot different breakages, and email blame users again. If that
information is available in the JSON interface, I can grab with that
script.

> Removing the "passed" messages from IRC might reduce the spam, but at
> the expense of making it more difficult for the person who broke the
> bots to track down when each bot is fixed (unless we aggregate that
> data across bots). If we reduce the size of the messages, I think that
> may go a long way towards being less distracting.

By having "failed" and "fixed" messages, we work around that problem
nicely, while still being short.

cheers,
--renato