[cfe-dev] clang, g++, icc link compatibity?

C Bergström cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Mon May 11 12:47:52 PDT 2015

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 2:21 AM, Christian Convey
<christian.convey at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, modulo any shenanigans about clang and gcc finding different STL
> headers/libs, and modulo any bugs, as long as they're using the same Itanium
> ABI version, I'm probably okay?

In theory yes, but in practice I would not count on this at all.

Think about it another way - if you have an object compiled with
g++-4.1 would you try to link and include it with other objects built
with clang or gcc-5?

FreeBSD, Linux and Solaris all use the Itanium ABI - Would you try to
take an object compiled on Solaris and link it against some stuff for
Linux. (This is an absurd example, but I hope it really shows my
point)

Bugs are unavoidable and c++ is *hard*

Don't get me wrong - I'm trying to give a conservative answer.