[cfe-dev] clang, g++, icc link compatibity?

Christian Convey christian.convey at gmail.com
Mon May 11 11:31:08 PDT 2015

(Sorry if this is documented somewhere, but I couldn't find it.)

Does anyone know what limitations currently exist when linking together C++
object produced by clang with those produced by c++ and/or Intel's icc?

My impression back in the day was that incompatible ABI's made it unsafe to
link together C++ object code from different compiler vendors/versions.
Not just with name mangling, but also with exceptions and perhaps other
issues.   I'm not only asking about linking to C++ standard libraries, but
also situations like:

clang++ -c foo.cpp
g++ -c bar.cpp
clang++ a.o b.o

Experimentally it seems to work okay, but I wasn't sure if that tells the
whole story.