[cfe-dev] Contributing a new target to LLVM

Martin J. O'Riordan Martin.ORiordan at movidius.com
Fri Mar 27 08:00:30 PDT 2015

Hi LLVM and CLang Devs,

At the moment my company (Movidius) is considering contributing the changes
we have made to LLVM and CLang in order to support our proprietary
processor, and I would like to seek advice on how best to approach doing
this?  I am pretty sure that there are coding guidelines and conventions
that we should be following but have not followed over the course of the
last few years, and we will have to go through the process of preparing the
sources so that they are suitable for pushing back to the LLVM and CLang
community, though I expect that as a small team of 2 developers this is
likely to take us several months.

Are there any existing documents that I should read to help us prepare our
code so that it might be acceptable to the LLVM (and CLang) communities?
What guidelines are there for contributors submitting new targets to LLVM,
how they should maintain them in the future, and how to ensure that other
targets are not negatively impacted by the addition?

Thanks in advance,

            Martin

Martin J. O'Riordan                Email:
<mailto:Martin.ORiordan at movidius.com> Martin.ORiordan at movidius.com

Compiler Development               Web:     <http://www.movidius.com>
www.movidius.com

Movidius Ltd.                      Skype:  moviMartinO

1st Floor,  O'Connell Bridge House,  d'Olier Street,  Dublin 2, Ireland