[cfe-dev] Bikeshedding commit message policy - Round 3 - Fight!

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Sun Mar 15 08:48:37 PDT 2015

On 15 March 2015 at 15:06, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:
> I used to use CSE:, but have now switched to using [CSE] because that seems to be the prevailing convention (and is somewhat more visually distinctive). I think it makes sense to codify that convention, but not to require them. Sometimes, there is nothing appropriate to use. Sometimes, the first or second word of the commit message is naturally the same as what the title tag would be, and so including the title tag seems redundant.

I agree with you that [CSE] is the most visually striking, but I
wonder how much do we want to code when to use them. There will always
be arguments to all sides, and I think this is not a topic important
enough for us to make it official.

See how the exclamation mark became self important on the attribution
and you'll see what I mean. I think common sense will always prevail
if we don't try to push too many standards.

cheers,
--renato