[cfe-dev] Line info for call expressions

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 13:49:25 PDT 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 1:36 PM, Peter Ohmann <ohmann at cs.wisc.edu> wrote:

>> > breakpoint at line 2, they don?t generally expect line 3 and 4 to
>> already
>> > have executed. It sounds like a solution would be to associate call
>> > expressions with the location of the closing parenthesis instead, so the
>> > breakpoint could fall through to line 3 and single-stepping behaves as
>> > expected.

>> > stepping expectations.

>> > instruction any operation with the preferred source location of the
>> > instruction. This means something like:

>> > accurate thing we can do, if a bit surprising.

>> or 5
>> > - you have to figure out the precedence to know which '+' operator call
>> you
>> > were actually in. By using the preferred location we get line 2 or 4 and
>> > it's obvious which plus the program is executing.

>> > making major improvements to locations a few months ago & settled on
>> > preferred location being the least ambiguous thing for users. Maybe
>> there
>> > are other perspectives we hadn't considered, though.
>> >
>> > I really like the improvements in the lines tables and think they are
>> > really great. And from a debugger engineer perspective they make total
>> > sense to me.
>> >
>> > I am more worried about what issues users will run into as they debug
>> and
>> > wonder why things are how they are.
>> >
>> > The bug that we ran into that spawned this conversation was code like
>> this:
>> >
>> > 22: printf("var1 = %i, var2 = %i",
>> > 23:        var1,
>> > 24:        var2);
>> >
>> > If you set a breakpoint on line 22 it will stop _after_ var1 and var2
>> have
>> > been loaded into registers for the function call to printf and if you
>> say:
>> >
>> > (lldb) expr var1 = 123
>> > (lldB) next
>> >
>> > And step over the printf, you will get the old "var1" value.
>>

>> Yep - pretty much all options have oddities that're going to confuse
>> users.
>> Though it's useful to have the examples, like this, in all directions.
>>

> (I don't need a response; I just wanted to comment)
> This is a very complex issue, no doubt.  To throw in one from the other
> side...
>
> Besides for debugging, I use clang's debug info when building program
> analysis tools that interact with source/debug info from other software.
> Thus, for me, any jumping around that causes weird debugging experience is
> actually a *good* thing if it's more faithful to real execution :)

Hard to tell from that description what locations would work best for you.
Start, end, or preferred location are all valid strategies that do reflect
the real execution, in one way or another...

The examples on this thread should give you some idea of the different
strategies - you might be able to take a guess at how they might impact
your tools & which sequences might work best for you.

- David