[cfe-dev] TargetParser - Always build all table-gen files?

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Mon Mar 9 11:21:44 PDT 2015

To be clear, TargetParser is about parsing subtarget CPUs and features,
right?

I'm not very familiar with how the current system works, but it would be a
shame to run tablegen for all targets when the user just wants one backend.

The subtarget feature flags aren't very much data. If I were doing this
today, I would make one subtarget info library and put all the subtarget
features in there. The subtarget information is far less than the
instruction table information. For example:
lib/Target/Subtargets/X86Subtargets.td
lib/Target/Subtargets/ARMSubtargets.td

Now that we have a lot of backends and lots of out of tree backends, this
might be too disruptive. The answer might be that we have to live with
duplicating the subtarget features in clang and building some kind of
sanity checking mechanism to keep them in sync.