[cfe-dev] Clang version numbers

Robert Ankeney rrankene at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 08:51:09 PST 2015

Trunk is always "the next version", 3.6 is whatever is built from 3.6
branch.

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 3:07 PM, Robert Ankeney <rrankene at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why is the current build calling itself 3.7.0? Since 3.6 was just
> released, it seems it should be called 3.6.0 or something less confusing.
>
> Thanks!
> Robert

As a user, I find this confusing. The next version could easily be 3.6.1.
If someone gave me the current release today and I wanted to see what
features this 3.7 contained, I would quickly discover that 3.6 was the
current version, and would find this version suspect (unless it came from a
Time Lord). If I searched after the formal release of 3.7, I would expect
the 3.7 features listed and bugs corrected shown in the release notes to
exist in this version. What would be less confusing to me would something
like calling the current version 3.6.1, where an odd last digit implied an
interim version, and an even last digit an actual release.

Just my two cents worth.