[cfe-dev] Custom C++ extension

Ramin Zaghi rzaghi at generalgates.com
Mon Jun 15 11:34:57 PDT 2015

Everyone, thank you for the very helpful comments and replies.

To answer a few of the questions:

@Nikola and @Marcello:
> develop against trunk and merge often
> setting up something automatic always helps
I do have automatic update scripts which aid me with rebasing git repositories.
I am not sure how welcome git patches are to the community but that is a longer term concern than anything else.

@Jonathan
> have you considered using __attribute__
I am aware of the syntax, however the idea behind this work goes far beyond a simple tagging.
So that wouldn’t help and even if it did it would make the code look illegible.

> that will significantly reduce your patch burden
I do agree :)

> How so?
It is a bit tricky to explain it in a few statements really. I made it sound so simple.
You would need to rewrite code to be able to do this - so I didn’t mean “magic”.

Basic idea is to create Template-like constructs for the compiler to emit code at
various “tagged" locations in the source code. This is something C++ templates
are missing and that’s being able to locate “things” in the code to do their job.
I imagine that, if we told the compiler what a “C++ [sub]statement”
looked like in Clang source code, then hypothetically we could tell the compiler
to patch the Clang source to introduce new parts to [some] “C++ statements”...

Anyway, I actually meant to post another question on a new thread regarding
source-to-source or source-to-binary compilation for this.
I may well ask the question here:

My original prototype which didn’t use Clang produced standard C++ (source to source).
I would still like to have that option. However, I would also like to be able to go from
the source directly to the backend.
I think if I implement them the way C++’s Templates are implemented
in Clang then I would get the source to backend part.
Now, I don’t know much about how Templates work in Clang yet but I had
a quick look and it seems like the template instantiation happens internally
and no code is ever produced - only ASTs.
So if I implemented these the way Templates work now, then is there no
way to switch it to a source-to-source mode?
Can Clang, for example, emit C++ code after Template instantiation, somehow?

-Ramin