[cfe-dev] RFC: Adding attribute(nonnull) to things in libc++

Nick Lewycky nlewycky at google.com
Wed Jun 3 00:21:42 PDT 2015

On 1 June 2015 at 07:20, Marshall Clow <mclow.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> This weekend, I got an email from Nuno Lopes informing me that UBSAN now
> paid attention to attribute(nonnull), and he was having some problems with
> it going off when using libc++.

FYI, I also looked into turning this on, but with libstdc++, and found that
they annotated basic_string<T>::assign(pointer, len) with attribute
nonnull. That's a problem, because it's valid to call
basic_string<T>::assign(nullptr, 0), but the reasoning why it's valid makes
me want to ask the committee whether this is what they intended.

The language std text claims that the pointer must point to an array of 'n'
(second argument) length, but earlier in the text it also states that in
the library, whenever it says "array" it means any pointer upon which
address computations and accesses to objects (that would be valid if the
pointer did point to the first element of such an array). Thus, nullptr is
valid if 'n' is zero.

This was changed in DR2235:
http://cplusplus.github.io/LWG/lwg-defects.html#2235
The text and discussion of DR2235 sound like they intend to make the
behaviour of assign match that of the constructor that takes the same
arguments. What they actually did was change the constructor to match the
behaviour of assign, and it doesn't look like removing the requirement of a
nonnull pointer was considered and intended.

At this point I made a note that somebody should ask the committee when
they get the chance, and never got back around to it.

Nick

I did some investigation, and found that he was exactly right - there were