[cfe-dev] Building Clang - which source files are included in libraries?

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 06:43:34 PDT 2015

As I understand it, most of the modules that comprise the clang executable
(even when we talk about the clang-specific modules, apart from those that
are part of llvm in general) are actually in the clang libraries. Which is
useful because other programs that need front-end functionality can just
link those libraries.

Which source files are /not/ incorporated into the clang libraries? I'm
guessing C:\llvm\tools\clang\tools\driver\driver.cpp is one such file
because it contains a main function; would this be correct? What about the
other two source files in that directory, cc1_main.cpp and cc1as_main.cpp;
are they in libraries? Are there any others that aren't?

Is there somewhere I should have looked for the answer to questions like
this? I tried generating and examining msbuild.log, but it's on the verbose
side (over thirty megabytes) so it's not easy to see exactly what's going
on.