[cfe-dev] How to use AST Matchers without using ninja?

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Mon Jul 13 21:44:17 PDT 2015

In article <20150712142541.GA25055 at britannica.bec.de>,
    Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg at britannica.bec.de> writes:

> A new clang-config program is certainly not a cmake-based solution.
> There are standalone pkg-config versions for Windows and it is the
> prefered way of dealing with this kind of problems on Unix. There is
> pre-existing cmake logic for dealing with pkg-config. As such, I believe
> it is a good idea to avoid reinventing the wheel.

OK, this is getting a bit off topic, but as a longtime Windows
developer, pkg-config is a unix solution ported to Windows.  It isn't
a solution or mechanism that is commonly used on Windows (except by
unix developers working on Windows).  CMake is intentionally cross
platform from the beginning instead of being a unix oriented solution
ported to Windows.  YMMV but I think CMake based solutions (i.e.
FindXXX cmake modules) are preferable to pkg-config based solutions.
With a CMake module you can use pkg-config on Unix oriented systems if
it is available and can give you an answer.  However, you still hae to
handle the situation where pkg-config doesn't know about the
underlying thing or can't find it, so you still need something that
isn't pkg-config based anyway.