[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] Phabricator update

James Y Knight jyknight at google.com
Fri Jul 10 12:20:08 PDT 2015

It's actually surprising to me that the emails from Phabricator and llvm's
svn *DO* get through most of the time.

Both of these fabricate the "From" address to generate an email purportedly
be from the author of the svn revision or phabricator comment's email
address. While the message is hopefully from the real person behind that
email address, those messages are decidedly NOT from that email account.
It's not even in the arguably gray area which is mailing lists (forwarding
-- with some modifications to subject and body -- an email really written
from the "From" account). No, these messages are just fabricated
whole-cloth without the knowledge of the sending domain's email system.

So, recipients which run DMARC checks will rightfully detect these emails
as illegitimate, and might reject/quarentine/etc them.

(I've no idea if that's actually what's going on with Apple's servers, but
an increasing number of domains are using dmarc checks at least as one
input of "potentially-spam", if not to outright reject the messages. And it
makes sense to do so: that the entire internet can historically write
emails that purport to be from me isn't actually a good feature.)