[cfe-dev] 3.6.2-rc1 has been tagged. Testers needed.

Dan Liew dan at su-root.co.uk
Mon Jul 6 20:35:05 PDT 2015

Hi Ben,

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

>> It's not necessary for CMake to be installed when building with the
>> Autoconf/Makefile build system. If you look in the build directory
>> after a  build has been performed  you should see in cmake/modules
>>
>> ```
>> LLVMBuildExports.cmake  LLVMConfig.cmake  LLVMConfigVersion.cmake
>> LLVMExports.cmake  Makefile
>> ````
>

> I have these for the test-release build, but only in the *.obj directory,
> not the install directory.

Okay. So that means the files are being generated during the build but
not installed for some reason

>> The ``LLVMConfig.cmake`` and ``LLVMConfigExports.cmake`` file are
>> generated by the build in this directory and are later installed
>> (along with a bunch of other files). When I do a build of LLVM on Arch
>> Linux and install it in the install directory there is a
>> ``share/llvm/cmake/`` directory and it contains the following files
>> (this is LLVM trunk rather than 3.6.2 but it should be very similar).
>>
>> ```
>> AddLLVM.cmake             AddOCaml.cmake         ChooseMSVCCRT.cmake
>> FindOCaml.cmake   GetSVN.cmake             HandleLLVMStdlib.cmake
>> LLVMConfig.cmake         LLVMExports.cmake         TableGen.cmake
>> AddLLVMDefinitions.cmake  AddSphinxTarget.cmake  CrossCompile.cmake
>> FindSphinx.cmake  HandleLLVMOptions.cmake  LLVM-Config.cmake
>> LLVMConfigVersion.cmake  LLVMProcessSources.cmake
>> ```
>
> I have these in the install directory of my cmake based trunk build.

Yes those will definitely existing if you build LLVM using the CMake
build system but since LLVM 3.5 the Autoconf/Makefile build system
also generates and installs CMake files into the LLVM install tree.
Perhaps you could do a clean build of LLVM using the Autoconf/Makefile
build system outside of your chroot to see if there's something about
your chroot environment causing the problem?

>> You're going to have to do some debugging on your end because I cannot
>> reproduce what ends up your tarball. I guess a first step would be to
>> try building LLVM in your chroot but outside of the test-release.sh
>> script. You could then try...
>>
>> 1. After doing a complete build have the
>> ``cmake/modules/LLVMConfig.cmake`` and
>> ``cmake/modules/LLVMExports.cmake`` files been generated in the build
>> directory?  If the CMake files are missing if you run ``make`` in the
>> ``cmake/modules/`` directory the files should be generated. Running
>> this manually should not be necessary though, it should happen
>> automatically.
>> SIDENOTE: After doing an initial configure the ``cmake/modules``
>> directory (and it's corresponding Makefile) will not exist if the
>> build is out of source. The directory and the makefile will exist
>> after doing a successful build.
>
> Yeah, I have those.

Okay and those existed after a build without you needing to run
``make`` inside the ``cmake/modules/`` directory in the build tree?

>> 2. Assuming the ``cmake/modules/LLVMConfig.cmake`` and
>> ``cmake/modules/LLVMExports.cmake`` files were generated in the
>> previous step, what happens when you run ``make install`` in the
>> ``cmake/modules`` directory? Do the files actually get installed?
>
> Now I have the share/llvm/cmake directory with 18 files.

Okay so I am right in understanding that after completing a build...

- When you ran ``make install`` from the root of the build tree the
CMake files are not installed into ``share/llvm/cmake``.
- After trying the above you ran ``make install`` in the
``cmake/modules`` directory in the build tree and the CMake files were
installed to ``share/llvm/cmake``

?

> In fact, I ran install from the root of the build directory and not a load
> of .a and a few .so files appeared in *.install/lib

I don't quite understand what you mean. Could you explain that again?
Are you saying that you ran ``make install`` again in the root of the
build tree and additional
libraries were installed?

If so that doesn't good. Sounds like a bug.

@Eric : Have you ever seen anything like this before?

Thanks,
Dan.