[cfe-dev] Changing default C++ standard version

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Thu Jul 2 12:41:25 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jul 02, 2015 at 07:43:30PM +0100, Renato Golin wrote:
> On 2 July 2015 at 19:06, Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg at britannica.bec.de> wrote:
> > I have a problem with this. The issue is not so much whether the
> > features are implemented or not, but that quite a bit of code is going
> > to break by semantic changes like user-defined literals or the narrow
> > warnings. The situation is IMO quite different for C++ compared to C.
>
> Also, almost everyone uses LLVM trunk, while no one uses GCC trunk.
> They have time to stabilise on their own, we tend to keep trunk
> working at all times.

It's not about stabilizing. The problem I have with this change is the
set of people having to fix issues are completely disjoint from the set
pushing for this change. Given the amount of semi-unmaintained C++ code
in the wild, this is a serious issue. Just because GCC requires every
distro to patch things doesn't mean that there will be magic new
upstream releases :(

Joerg