[cfe-dev] clang-tidy, clang-modernize, and remove-cstr-calls

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Fri Jan 30 13:25:54 PST 2015

Richard <legalize at xmission.com> writes:

> Should remove-cstr-calls be migrated to a clang-tidy check?

I've thought the same in the past, and I think yes.  It would fit clang-tidy.

> What about clang-modernize?  Are the transformations there considered
> to be of the lint variety?  Should those transformations be migrated
> to clang-tidy as well?

I think clang-modernize should stay separate, as it doesn't strictly
search for programming errors of inefficiencies.  It is really a source-code upgrade
tool, something you run once you've decided to switch your standard
level.  One might argue that clang-modernize could be run as part of
clang-tidy, if LangOpts specified CPlusPlus11, but I am not convinced.
OTOH, the check-enabling syntax of clang-tidy makes it rather easy to
run modernize as part of it... "clang-tidy -fix -checks=modernize"
wouldn't be particularily hard to type.  But keep in mind that clang-modernize seems
to be able to run without a compilation database, which doesn't apply to
clang-tidy.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕