[cfe-dev] Current state of compiling for Windows on Linux (with libc++ too)?

Saleem Abdulrasool compnerd at compnerd.org
Mon Jan 12 18:51:36 PST 2015

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 10:28 PM, Jim Porter <jvp4846 at g.rit.edu> wrote:

> I know there's been a lot of exciting work on getting clang to run on
> Windows, and (I think) work to make clang-on-Linux produce Windows
> binaries, but I'm not entirely sure what the current status is. I'm not
> terribly concerned about mimicking MSVC bugs, but it would be nice to
> compile some of my C++14 projects for Windows (preferably using libc++,
> since that's the only C++14-compliant standard lib I know of at the moment).

How do you intend to build libc++?  Do you intend to build it against MSVC
as the C library?  This is certainly possible, but this isn't fully
complete yet.  Getting this work completed would be a great place to
start.  I would recommend that if you were to go down this route, you use
the latest SDK and Visual Studio (for MSVC).  They have added many missing
pieces which are needed.

Assuming that you are fine with creating a custom environment for building,
the i686-windows-itanium target assumes that you have a Linux like sysroot
setup with the C library headers in /usr/include and an appropriately named
bfd linker in /usr/bin.

> Is there a good place to keep track of this work? I'd be happy to help out
> as well, if there are any smallish tasks that need doing.

There is an outstanding patch to support case insensitivity on case
sensitive file systems that Ive not had the time to give attention to.

Another aspect which matters is what architecture are you looking at?

> - Jim

Saleem Abdulrasool
compnerd (at) compnerd (dot) org