[cfe-dev] Deprecating libc++'s testit script

Eric Fiselier eric at efcs.ca
Thu Jan 8 12:52:41 PST 2015

Hi All,

I am hoping to remove libcxx/test/testit in the very near future. I
would like all users to use LLVM LIT to run the libc++ tests. testit
is being removed to allow for more complex test formats including
micro-benchmarks and tests for the soon to come filesystem library.

If you are a testit user please reach out to me. I will make sure that
all required functionality from testit is in LIT before making the
switch.

Using CMake to build libc++ is recommended but not required when using
LIT to test. CMake generates a `lit.site.cfg` file that provides
configuration information on how to run the tests. If you are not
using CMake to build libc++ then you should manually create a
`lit.site.cfg` file from `libcxx/test/lit.site.cfg.in`. Please see the
libcxx documentation below about how the `lit.site.cfg` file is used.

The documentation for using CMake and LIT can be found on the landing
page for libcxx at:
http://libcxx.llvm.org

I've written a guide for using LIT to test libcxx on the command line
along with documentation for each option. The documentation can be
found here:
http://libcxx.llvm.org/lit_usage.html

Documentation for LIT command line usage (for the tool itself) can be
found here:
http://llvm.org/docs/CommandGuide/lit.html

Please, please, please reach out to me if you have any questions,
concerns or advice. I would like to help make this transition as
smooth as possible.

/Eric