[cfe-dev] PSA: clang-cl can self host now!

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Wed Feb 25 12:48:38 PST 2015

Over the weekend I had a random urge to make clang-cl be able to self
host.  As of r230539, this should now be possible.  Steps to try this out:

1) Run vcvarsall.bat, same as you would for an MSVC hosted build.
2) set CC=CXX=clang-cl  (make sure it's in your path
3) Run CMake as you normally would, no special flags needed.
4) There is no 4, that's it!

Currently LLD will not build, so if you have cloned LLD into your repo you
will need to not build it.  llvm, clang, and lldb should build though, so
you can run "ninja lldb clang" for example and produce a working build.
I've been told that a fix for LLD is forthcoming sometime today or tomorrow.

Feel free to post any issues you encounter.