[cfe-dev] libc++: max_size() of a std::vector

François Fayard fayard.francois at icloud.com
Tue Feb 17 23:35:09 PST 2015

Hi Matt,

You seem to favour the usage of std::size_t because it does not "limit the range of values". My original post shows that the usage of std::size_t does not even allow std::vector to have a size() >= PTRDIFF_MAX in all the 3 major standard library implementation.

- Just run the following code compiled on a 32 bit system (or with -m32) with libc++
        auto v = std::vector<char>( );
        std::cout << PTRDIFF_MAX << " " << SIZE_MAX << " " << v.max_size() << std::endl;
   and you’ll find out that v.max_size() is equal to PTRDIFF_MAX and not SIZE_MAX.
- libstdc++ and the Windows standard library implementation returns SIZE_MAX and it you look at my original post you’ll understand that this is a bug (size() has undefined behaviour if the size is > PTRDIFF_MAX). This bug has been in their standard library implementation for 20 years!

François