[cfe-dev] Problems with Clang self-building, to use libTooling

Dave Lee davelee.com at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 11:54:00 PST 2015

Hi,

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to ask this…

tldr: On OS X 10.10, toggled on LLVM_ENABLE_LIBCXX, and now clang can't
build itself because it doesn't know where the libc++ headers are.

I'm trying to get started using libTooling, primarily via the clang
tutorial featuring ASTMatchers[1]. I followed the instructions there, but
when I run ccmake, to update CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER after building, I start to
run into troubles.

First, after typing 'c' to configure, I get an error about missing
libstdc++4.7. I toggled on LLVM_ENABLE_LIBCXX as per this thread[2], and
this did allow ccmake to configure without errors. But once I ran ninja
after this step, the build failed because the libc++ headers could not be
found. I am on OS X 10.10, the system libc++ headers are in
/usr/include/c++/4.2.1. I tried a few different things to explicitly have
the system c++ header directory added to the includes list, but they things
I tried did not work.

Thanks!
Dave

1. http://clang.llvm.org/docs/LibASTMatchersTutorial.html