[cfe-dev] Compiling ARM code at an architecture level

Meador Inge meadori at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 06:43:06 PST 2015

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 9:16 PM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org>
wrote:

> That would be an ugly workaround in multiple compilers for an already
> ugly implementation in one compiler (clang). Not to mention that you'd
> upset the gcc community for a problem that is clearly in Clang. :)

FWIW, the -mcpu=generic-arch for is already supported in GCC.  I should
have been clearer about that:

* https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.9.2/gcc/ARM-Options.html#ARM-Options

> We have tried improving the driver to be better at this for the last 5
> years with little success, and with increasing complexity, the costs
> of doing so will only increase. I have a plan to work on how cpus and
> fpus are parsed, which could help you in the long term (by making the
> refactoring simpler), but even that I'm finding hard to get to... :(

I am interested in hearing more about that and could possibly help.

> However, I can't think of any quick solution to your problem other
> then compile it twice using armv7a and armv7m for -march.
>
> Sorry if that sounds negative, but there seems to not be enough
> interest in the rest of the community to make this refactoring a
> priority, so it'll probably happen slower than you'd want... :/

Not negative, just the facts :-)  Thanks for the reply!

-- Meador