[cfe-dev] [libcxx] Extending the behavior of std::hash in libc++

Geoffrey Romer via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 7 15:27:23 PST 2015

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 2:31 PM, Justin Lebar <jlebar at google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 10:36 AM, Geoffrey Romer <gromer at google.com> wrote:
> > I'm confused. You start by saying that you're concerned that "this
> standard
> > [meaning P0029, I guess?] may ossify the state of the world for
> applications
> > which could benefit from using a different hash algorithm", but I don't
> see
> > how the proposal is any worse than the status quo with respect to the
> > problems you describe.
>
> It's not.
>
> My mail was more to express the position that switching out hashers is
> important for many applications.  It seems that perhaps if hashing is
> being reconsidered in a big way, the ability to switch out the hasher
> should be considered at the same time, lest an opportunity be lost.
> Even if switching out hashers is out of scope for P0029, it seems that
> if it's desirable and important it should be carefully considered, in
> the same way that heterogeneous lookups are being considered.

I see, that makes sense; I've made a note to discuss that in the next
version of the paper. I don't intend to actually propose it at this
juncture, but I agree it's worth considering

> > Furthermore, you go on to express a desire for user
> > code to be able to control the default hash algorithm, but if anything
> P0029
> > makes that easier, by giving you one central hash algorithm to control,
> > instead of dealing with hundreds of independent per-type hash algorithms.
>
> I suppose this is true from one perspective.  In particular it's
> easier to use a single hasher with complex types -- assuming that
> everyone writes their boilerplate using the templated idiom.

Sorry, I don't follow.

> On the other hand, the data structure using the hash -- unordered_map
> or whatever -- still controls which hasher we use.  My contention in
> the earlier e-mail is that because (a) people will largely use the
> default and (b) library writers are conservative, we will likely end
> up with possibly bad, probably slow standard-library hashers in the
> near future.  Just as replacing malloc is often a good idea, it seems
> to me that replacing the default hasher will also often be a good
> idea.  So I was asking that we consider whether it's desirable to
> design a system where it's easier to replace the default hasher.

I get all that. My point is that even if P0029 doesn't directly give you a
way to replace the hash algorithm, it gets you closer: under the status
quo, even if the standard library gave you a way to change the default
hasher, that would just give you a way to change the behavior for each type
individually. Under P0029, by contrast, if the standard library gives you a
way to change the hash algorithm, then you can change it for all types at a
stroke.

> Maybe this is the best we can reasonably do in that respect.  It would
> sort of be a bummer (as I understand the proposal), but I get that
> there's a lot of constraints on the problem.
>
> > I take no position on
> > whether it would be a good idea to put such a mechanism in the standard
> > itself, but if you want to go that way, surely gaining implementation
> > experience in libc++ would be a good first step?
>
> Sure, and I feel like this thread is part of that process?

Agreed; I had thought you were objecting to my request, but it sounds like
that's not the case.