[cfe-dev] Clang and Swift

Sean Silva via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 4 16:31:18 PST 2015

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 2:46 PM, James Y Knight <jyknight at google.com> wrote:

> Without having looked into it...
>
> If people need a feature like this, I'm wondering if it would make sense
> to parse a special file containing normalish C/C++/ObjC declarations, and
> use those to replace or augment attributes from matching declarations in
> the normal parse.

That's actually a really good idea.

Yesterday we were talking at the social briefly about this and actually it
became pretty clear that a YAML-type format wouldn't scale. A compelling
example from the internal patch I was reviewing is something like "if this
argument has this bit set, then treat this other argument as having this
meaning to the static analyzer"*; the bit itself is of course specified in
the source by `#define FOO_MAGIC_OPTION (1 << 7)` or `enum { ...,
FOO_MAGIC_OPTION = (1 << 7), ...}` or whatever, and to maintain sanity the
YAML file would of course want to use that symbolic constant. Realistically
C/C++ source code is the only fully general way to get the right name
lookup, macro expansion, constexpr evaluation, ...

So instead of a separate file, it could be something like, your side-table
of attributes is really just a C/C++ source file that contains "replacement
declarations" (marked with a pragma or attribute or something), that the
analyzer would parse first then substitute as appropriate (or something).
That would allow you to use the natural API `#include`'s to pick up the
symbolic constants.

* (
For reference, what would ultimately be desired is something like:

enum {
  FOO_MAGIC_BIT = (1 << 7),
};

// If (flags & FOO_MAGIC_BIT), then the analyzer should treat `p` as having
some special meaning.
void foo(Bar *p, unsigned flags)
__attribute__((arg_is_magical_when_bit_is_set(0/*arg `p`*/,
1/*arg`flags`*/, FOO_MAGIC_BIT)));
)

-- Sean Silva