[cfe-dev] [analyzer] Whole Program Analysis - Full Call Graph

Aleksei Sidorin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 1 04:23:27 PST 2015

Hello Phil,

I met this problem while implementing inter-unit analysis
proof-of-concept for CSA. I'll describe my solution here. As I
understand, this problem cannot be solved inside CSA, so I used
multi-step approach.

First, for all translation units we should collect a list of 'required'
and 'exported' functions. To build a list of required declarations, we
iterate over AST to find CallExprs that use callee decl without body. To
build a list of exported declarations we just dump all the functions
that are visible externally.

I used a simple text signature of function as
mangled_name at target_triple_arch for dumping. I used additional arch mark
to distinguish between functions in multi-arch builds.

Note that some function may be defined in a headers. One should not
merge them because they may have different bodies due to macro
expansion. These calls are local and the approach below should solve
this problem.

After this, we have two lists. List of required functions is just a list
of signatures; list of external functions is a list of entries looking
like a map: function_signature::file_name at target_triple_arch. Final
export map contains items from exported functions whose key was listed
in required functions. Resulting mapping is an inter-unit call graph.

You may also need to use C++ mangling-style for C if you build multiple
projects that may contain functions with the same name. However, if you
need to do this, you may need more complicated approach.

You can take a look at the code. This code also dumps local calls but
marks as local explicitly so it may be used to build a whole program
call graph. You can find our github repo at
https://github.com/haoNoQ/clang/tree/summary-ipa-draft. See
tools/clang-func-mapping
(https://github.com/haoNoQ/clang/blob/summary-ipa-draft/tools/clang-func-mapping/ClangFnMapGen.cpp)
and tools/scan-build/xtu-analyze.py