[cfe-dev] OCL analysis?

Brian Cain via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 18 15:32:44 PDT 2015

I'd like to be able to use clang to do simple OpenCL analysis.  It seems
like it's not-quite-exactly a design goal for clang to be able to support
the entirety of the OCL standard, yes?  For example, the entire set of
types/enumerations etc are not defined when using "-x cl" to specify
opencl.

In the past, I've thrown together a patched libclc and used clang's "-x cl"
in order to generate warnings for my OpenCL kernels.  Even really trivial
warnings seem to uncover bugs.  I suspect that the checkers also would
provide some value (more signal than noise) but I haven't used them on OCL
yet.

I think there's value in having a tool that does this, but does it belong
in clang?  If not, are there existing projects who already cover this use
case?

--
-Brian