[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] Clang devirtualization proposal

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Fri Aug 7 18:03:46 PDT 2015

> From: "Chandler Carruth" <chandlerc at google.com>

Isn't that what happens today?

> The problem I see is that if the transformation in the body of the
> callee does CSE of any form, it allows dead argument elimination to
> remove this non-readonly potentially-aliasing argument.
Right, that seems to be the problem.

> So if we want to go this route, I think we need to at least block
> dead argument elimination from removing a potentially writable
> aliasing argument even if it is unused in the function body, because
> it might be modeling a writable way for a particular memory location
> to enter the function.

> All in all, I would prefer the stronger guarantee of the readonly
> attribute (that the memory location is unchanged, regardless of
> through which pointer it is accessed).
Perhaps this is indeed the only strategy that is completely self-consistent. I don't object to pursuring this.

> > As I said earlier, the original problem highlighted by Reid's
> > example
> > cannot currently occur: that could only happen if you remove the
> > @llvm.assume call (thus making the other argument unused). We
> > already don't do this (because the assumes could be useful if later
> > inlined), and now we have a second reason. Regardless, because we
> > don't actively remove @llvm.assume, I'm not convinced the current
> > state of things is currently broken.
>

> As others have said, *anything* which triggers CSE seems problematic
> here.
Fair enough. To record the example you provided to me on IRC here:

chandlerc: we start with 'if (a == b) { *b = 42; } else { x(); }'
chandlerc: then CSE to 'if (a == b) { *a = 42; } else { x(); }'
chandlerc: then inline to 'if (a == b) { *a = 42; } else { unreachable; }'
chandlerc: then fold to 'if (true) { *a = 42; }'
chandlerc: b is now dead
chandlerc: x was marked as 'readnone'
chandlerc: and contained unreachable

-Hal