[cfe-dev] Missing edges in analysis call graph

Daniel DeFreez dcdefreez at ucdavis.edu
Fri Nov 21 15:35:22 PST 2014

>  I believe with your patch, the node will get added, but the definition
>> used will not have the body attached to it, so the analyzer will not
>> process the body.
>>

> Hmm, doesn't the analyzer itself use getBody() to access the body, thereby
> walking the list of redeclarations? It seems like it is still processing
> the body of the function, but maybe I don't know what to look for.
>
> This is a good point. We might not be gaining anything by replacing the
> decl with the one that has a body since getBody is guaranteed to search the
> redeclarations regardless.
>
> How about just removing both calls to isThisDeclarationADefinition() (from
> includeInGraph) and replacing the call to getBody with hasBody (to avoid
> the unnecessary AST de-serialization of the body)? That should work and
> would simplify the function greatly. What do you think?

I think replacing getBody() with hasBody() is a good idea regardless of the
approach taken to fix the missing edges. And avoiding node replacement
would make it cleaner.

I am not sure why some of the checks in your first patch were necessary
> (like this one).
> +    // Skip definitions with previous declarations
> +    if (FD->getPreviousDecl())
> +      return false;
> +

The reason I put that in was to avoid inserting redundant nodes. Just
removing isThisDeclarationADefinition() yields:

void a();
void b() { a(); }
void a() { }