[cfe-dev] RFC: Supporting private module maps for non-framework headers

Ben Langmuir blangmuir at apple.com
Fri Nov 14 09:57:20 PST 2014

> On Nov 13, 2014, at 12:36 PM, Vassil Vassilev <vvasilev at cern.ch> wrote:
>
> On 12/11/14 23:37, Richard Smith wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Vassil Vassilev <vvasilev at cern.ch <mailto:vvasilev at cern.ch>> wrote:
>> On 11/11/14 04:48, Richard Smith wrote:
>>> On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 4:00 PM, Argyrios Kyrtzidis <kyrtzidis at apple.com <mailto:kyrtzidis at apple.com>> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> For frameworks Clang currently supports adding a separate module map file for the private headers of the framework. It looks specifically for the presence of ‘module.private.modulemap’ inside the .framework and parses both the public and the private module maps when it processes its module. We would like to extend support for private module maps for non-framework headers as well.
>>>
>>> In the Darwin platform, the public SDK headers are located in '/usr/include', while the associated private SDK headers are located in '/usr/local/include’. '/usr/local/include’ comes before '/usr/include’ in the header search paths.
>>>
>>> I worry that this will be fragile. If for any reason we look in /usr/include but not in /usr/local/include, we'll not load the private extension map and things will probably go quite badly from that point onwards. If the presence of the /usr/local/include headers is a fundamental part of a /usr/include module, then it seems better to me to specify that within the /usr/include module map.
>>>
>>> So here's one possibility: allow 'extern module' declarations to be nested within other modules, then write your /usr/include module map as:
>>>
>>> module MyModule {
>>>   <...>
>>>   extern module SomethingPrivate "/usr/local/include/module.private.map"
>>> }
>> Maybe off topic (sorry if I misunderstood): would that 'somehow' allow placing a modulemap outside the /usr folder? (For cases like gcc's libstdc++).
>>
>> There are a few related problems with this. One is that we need to be able to map from a #included file's name to the module map file, if we're loading that module map lazily. Another is that files named in a module map file are found relative to that flie.
>>
>> We can solve the first problem with -fmodule-map-file=<libstdc++ module map>. For the second half, I've been discussing with a few people the idea of allowing a module map file to specify a "module root" directory relative to which its files are found, which need not be the directory in which the map is placed. (This also helps with another problem: diagnostics when building or using a module point to files relative to the module map file, which can result in some rather contorted and unnatural paths.)

I guess the minimum viable solution would be something like -fmodule-map-file-with-root=<module map file>,/path/to/module/root.  This has the advantage that your module map file doesn’t tie itself to a particular directory.

> Thanks for the pointers. This makes sense. Would I be able to to specify in the a framework's directory modulemaps for external dependency. In my particular case, I'd like to be able to express that this is the modulemaps for the external dependency.
>
> I was thinking what if we could accommodate more than one modulemap per file. Say:
> cat module.modulemap:
> modulemap Map1 {
>   module M1{}
> }
> modulemap Map2 {
>   modulemap_root /usr/include // Will use the virtual file system pretending the modulemap was found at the modulemap_root
>   module N1{}
> }

In this scheme, I would make your hypothetical root declaration part of the module, not the module map file.  i.e

module M1 { }
module N1 {
  module_root “/usr/include”
  …
}

That might result in some duplication if you wanted to describe a lot of modules in a single directory from an external location, but it seems cleaner to me than a modulemap { } syntax.

> IMO this would allow the 'external dependencies' to be organized in different configurations. For example, a module per header of bunch of headers for module, whichever decides the framework fits best. For our use-cases that would be great. Maybe this could simplify also the cross referencing modules and visibility also...

Not sure what you mean here.  Would you mind expanding on this a bit?