[cfe-dev] moving the clang-omp merge along

Alp Toker alp at nuanti.com
Wed May 28 18:01:55 PDT 2014

On 29/05/2014 03:42, Chandler Carruth wrote:

> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 3:19 PM, Jack Howarth
> <howarth.mailing.lists at gmail.com
> <mailto:howarth.mailing.lists at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Andrey Bokhanko expressed interest in getting the clang-omp
>     merge done in time for the 3.5 release but wants guidance on the
>     process.
>

> I think a bunch of the confusion comes from phrasing this as a merge.
> It isn't.
>
> Andrey and others are working hard to contribute the functionality to
> Clang, but the github project you're referencing is not a branch of
> Clang, and the code there which isn't also in Clang's trunk hasn't
> been contributed to Clang and isn't even covered by the LLVM
> project... This means that it hasn't been code reviewed, etc.
>
> The Intel folks are contributing small incremental patches to Clang
> and they are being reviewed in the normal process. This is IMO the
> best way to add new features to Clang and has been standard practice
> for some time. I don't think there is some other process which should
> be followed instead because the release date is getting close,

I second this. If you look at the OMP reviews so far they've uncovered
significant improvements pre-commit that wouldn't have been pointed out
after the fact.

> and I also don't think there is any other process that we *could*
> follow given that the branch isn't part of the Clang project... If the
> contributions arrive, get reviewed, and are committed in time for the
> release, awesome. If not, there will be another release after that. =]

If anything it would have been nice to have discussed the overall design
of the OMP frontend earlier in development. The fact the patches are
landing broadly as written in order to keep it moving is already
something of a concession :-)

Alp.

http://www.nuanti.com
the browser experts