[cfe-dev] anyone knows the current state of libc++ on windows?

Nico Rieck nico.rieck at gmail.com
Mon May 12 05:12:33 PDT 2014

On 08.05.2014 15:19, Dennis Luehring wrote:
> Am 08.05.2014 14:59, schrieb Yaron Keren:
>> Why use the combination of: clang compiler & Visual C++ link & Visual
>> C++ C
>> headers & libcxx C++ headers ?
>
> i thought this would be the base for an MinGW free libc++/clang on Windows
> clang as my c++ compiler using an libc++ build with clang based on msvc
> c-runtime headers/lib

One problem with eliminating MinGW is that the MSVCRT lacks quite a few
things for libc++, and I'm not sure it's such a good idea to stuff all
that compat into libc++. That's why I started a lean
C11/C++11-compatible libc some time ago. Initially just with stubs to
help with testing, but it grew over time. Math routines would be the
primary obstacle here to make it usable.

When it comes to the ABI, there's no good solution yet. The MS ABI
doesn't quite fit what libc++ expects, and is also missing support for
some C++ features not implemented by MS yet. If you use the
Windows-incompatible Itanium ABI you need MinGW's linker and their hacks
to make it work (this mainly affects vtable/rtti layout and DLLs).

With the recent rework of the Windows-specific triples it would probably
be possible to define a compatible Itanium-derived ABI. If you also
include lld, this would give you a full BSD-compatible toolchain without
MinGW and MSVC.

-Nico