[cfe-dev] Inline attribute

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Sun Mar 23 12:51:06 PDT 2014

On 23 March 2014 18:46, Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm confused... this would exactly solve the problem at hand. The only case
> you've presented of this is the attribute being used in the operand of
> __alignof__, where the attribute arguably does make some sense. It wouldn't
> silently do surprising things in any case, unlike GCC's approach.

You'd be creating a special behaviour for the operand of __alignof__,
which would create confusion if the user were to change the operand,
or move it outside, etc.

Supporting extensions is already risky business, because they're never
well documented on the complete meaning and where they're undefined
(like most of the standards), so it ends up most of the time being
whatever the other compilers implement.

I don't have access to ICC, but I'd be interested in which syntaxes it supports.

cheers,
--renato