[cfe-dev] [GSOC] Static Analyzer infrastructure improvement, BodyFarm

Gautier DI FOLCO gautier.difolco at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 02:04:49 PDT 2014

> Hello clang-devel,
>
> I am a student, and I would like to participate in Google Summer of Code
> 2014. I am mainly interested in the Static Analyzer and I would like to
> make infrastructural improvements. I have some experience in writing
> checkers and other clang based tools. Right now I am an intern at a company
> where my job is to implement checkers to verify that wether their code
> follows their design rules.
>
> In my work one of my biggest obstacle was that, the static analyzer lacks
> the ability of cross translation unit analysis. This is the reason why I am
> very interested in BodyFarm.
>
> There is an open project to model standard library functions using
> BodyFarm to make the analysis more precise. I would like to help to make
> BodyFarm working.
>
> Furthermore I would like to make BodyFarm something more general. Coverity
> is doing it's analysis in two steps. First it builds a model, and than it
> uses that model when it does the analysis. I want to make it possible for
> checker writers to do a preliminary run to collect some definitions that
> can be used during the analysis. This would provide checker writers with
> some limited cross translation unit support which would be a great
> improvement in my opinion.
>
> What are your opinions? Is there someone who willing to mentor this
> project? What are the chances it will get accepted?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Gábor Horváth

Hello,

I don't know if your subject is good or not (it sounds great to me, but I'm
a newbie), but I thought that GSoC was reserved to "unemployed" students.
As you have said, you are already intern, I think that avoid you to do the
GSoC.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm in the same case, I'm student since 5 years and
every summer I can't participate because I always an internship to do.

Regards.