[cfe-dev] Supporting building clang/llvm with VS2012. Why that one?

G M gmisocpp at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 02:33:44 PST 2014

Hi,

Sorry if this is a silly question, please don't bite my head off, but:

If I understand the situation correctly, clang/llvm aims to be buildable by
VS2012.

What's the rationale for this?

VS2012 is a pretty recent build, perhaps too recent to represent an
amazingly large number of users versus earlier versions of Visual Studio.

Given that, why not aim to be compatible with VCExpress 2013 instead of
VS2012 and track the latest of that as soon as it's released. A new version
is coming soon I understand.

I say this because it's free and both VS2012 and VCExpress can be installed
side by side. So why not?

By doing that you shouldn't be losing any significant number of users (if
any) compared to VS2012, and you gain by being able to use the very latest
C++11 features that MSVC supports as soon as it's available.

Anyone who wants to use clang just has install the latest VCExpress and
there doesn't appear to be a good reason not to given it's free and
the versions work side by side?

Just a thought. I'd like to know what people think. The outcome of the
answer doesn't make any difference to me, but it just seemed as sensible to
track the latest version than a version that might not have the largest
user base anyway.

I'm seeing the odd reverts in llvm/clang because some things aren't
compatible with VS2012, but they might be compatible with VS2013 and even
more so with the new VS2013 update about to come out. That's the point of
this.

Sorry if I've missed a good reason why things are the way they are, like if
clang doesn't build with VCExpress or something. I don't use it to build
clang, I use mingw, but I was curious so thought I'd ask. Hope it's a
useful question.

Thanks