[cfe-dev] RFC: Adding a rename refactoring tool to clang

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Mon Jul 28 10:02:44 PDT 2014

You guys at google keep reading my mind and doing the projects that I
wish I had time to do :-).

Keep going!

In article <CAKw0c6BWWAp4tDYixTTA2xsprDTFan6m6c3SuNG-DGdykApS3Q at mail.gmail.com>,
    Amin Shali <amshali at google.com> writes:

> At Google we are working on a tool and set of APIs for refactoring C++
> programs based on LibTooling. Particularly, we have targeted rename
> refactoring for C++ as our first step.
>
> In our first iteration we want to offer two things:
> 1- A command line tool similar to clang-format which will semantically
> rename a symbol (specified by a position in a file) in a set of input
> files.
> 2- An API for doing the above task which can effectively be used to provide
> this functionality for any editor (Emacs, Vim, CodeMirror, etc.).

This is totally awesome!

Please take advantage of the refactoring test suite I've created which
has lots of test cases for Rename, among others.

<https://github.com/LegalizeAdulthood/refactor-test-suite>

This is an ongoing effort but I've got 98 test cases for Rename alone
in there.

I am in the process of adding C++11 oriented test cases as time permits.

Issues and pull requests are most welcome on github.