[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] pinging 18097: atomic<> of trivially copyable class is rejected

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Wed Jul 16 05:46:49 PDT 2014

Tim,

I'm moving this to cfe-dev (this is a frontend issue). When pinging an issue, it helps to provide a brief synopsis of the problem...

Looking at this briefly, the question seems to center on whether clang should support converting from T to _Atomic(T) for non-POD (but trivially copyable) types. Currently it does not, but the libc++ implementation of atomic<T> is based on _Atomic(T) and inherits this restriction, rendering it non-conforming. Howard had created a libc++ patch to change the implementation of atomic<T> so that it was not directly based on _Atomic(T), but noted that a clang change could also fix the issue. Looking at Howard's patch, I can understand his hesitation (it certainly makes the implementation more complicated).

 -Hal