[cfe-dev] Clang-cl.exe and the VC++ preprocessor

Nico Rieck nico.rieck at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 10:57:43 PDT 2014

On 12.07.2014 12:07, Alp Toker wrote:
> It sounds like the request in this thread boils down to extending
> MSVCCompat to support more standards-compliance outside of system
> headers. In other words, parsing Microsoft headers and retaining VC++
> ABI but not imposing those quirks on user code:
>
> We already try to do a lot of that on the semantic analysis level, a few
> sporadic attempts in the parser, but AFAIK not yet any attempt to do so
> in the preprocessor.

It would be nice if all (or most) of these compatibility quirks could be
isolated to specific headers. The last time I proposed something in this
direction (see [1]) it quickly got shot down and didn't garner any
further reactions. There seems to be reluctancy to add further state to
the parser which directly goes against these suggestions.

-Nico

[1]: http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/cfe-dev/2014-March/035738.html