[cfe-dev] Clang-cl.exe and the VC++ preprocessor

Edward Diener eldlistmailingz at tropicsoft.com
Thu Jul 10 12:55:41 PDT 2014

I have been told, via my bug report on a preprocessor error in the
latest version of clang-cl.exe, that clang-cl.exe is trying to emulate
at least some of the bugs of the VC++ preprocessor.

NO ! Please do not do that.

I know, from having worked on variadic macros in Boost PP and having
created my own variadic macro data library, how broken the VC++
preprocessor is when it comes to preprocessor metaprogramming. Paul
Mensonides, the creator of Boost PP and an exceptional expert on the C++
preprocessor, also knows and has bemoaned countless times how difficult
it is to do preprocessor metaprogramming if one has to deal with the
VC++ preprocessor. Not only will clang-cl.exe's emulation of the
brokeness of the VC++ preprocessor set back further efforts in
metaprogramming preprocessor code and libraries but there is absolutely
no chance, if it means anything to clang-cl developers, that any effort
will be made to accomodate clang-cl's preprocessor bugs into Boost PP (
or my own variadic macro data library ).

This is completely the wrong direction for clang-cl to go. Please stop
and only consider producing as close to as possible a 100% C++
conformant preprocessor, as the rest of clang no doubt has as its goal.