[cfe-dev] Distinguishing between clang Window versions

Nico Weber thakis at chromium.org
Tue Jul 8 08:13:29 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 6:54 AM, Edward Diener <
eldlistmailingz at tropicsoft.com> wrote:

> Since the two versions for clang on Windows, one using VC++ RTL and
> emulating VC++ to some small extent and the other using mingw rtl, are
> radically different, is there any easy way to distinguish between them at
> pre-execution time.
>
> In Boost Build we currently have a single toolset named 'clang' for the
> clang compiler. On Linux it uses a clang-linux.jam file, on the Mac it uses
> a clang-darwin.jam file, and I am trying to establish .jam files for using
> clang on Windows. Essentially I can use the clang-linux.jam file with a
> slight modification if the clang version uses mingw, but I need to use a
> clang-win.jam file if the clang version uses VC++. So somewhere early in
> the Boost Build processing I have to determine which 'clang.exe' is being
> used on Windows in order to invoke the proper Boost Build jam file for it.

It's not really to different clang binaries as far as I know, just the same
binary with a different default triple. So you could pass an explicit
-target parameter to force one compiler behavior over the other too.
(-target i386-pc-win32 for VC mode, -target i386-pc-mingw32 for gcc mode)