[cfe-dev] Cross-referenced HTML dumps of Clang ASTs

Eli Bendersky eliben at google.com
Tue Jul 1 11:30:08 PDT 2014

Hi,

The AST dump generated by Clang is very important for frontend work and
developing source transformation tools, but often I find myself wasting a
lot of time navigating around it.

To make this somewhat easier, I built a simple tool through which you can
pipe the output of -ast-dump. It emits an HTML file (colored similarly to
the colored mode of the AST dump) where node addresses are links. You can
jump from uses to definitions, and use a navigation pane to explore a
node's parent, children and users.

Sample HTML dump:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15602400/template-insts-dump.html
Generated from this C++ code:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15602400/template-insts.cpp

The tool is available here:
https://github.com/eliben/llvm-clang-samples/blob/master/tools/htmlize-ast-dump.py
-
it's self contained and the code is in the public domain, so feel free to
use it.

Hope others find this useful! Ideas for improvement are welcome.

Eli