[cfe-dev] -fmerge-all-constants enabled by default (PR18538)

Richard Smith richard at metafoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 21 13:14:57 PST 2014

Hi!

The non-conforming optimization -fmerge-all-constants is currently enabled
by default. That seems surprising, and against our usual approach of trying
to be correct by default. Is there some code for which this is critically
important (perhaps without it, the stack usage at -O0 is unacceptable)?

Can we turn this off by default, or failing that, document very prominently
that we're not conforming, and explain why? (I'm happy to update the
documentation if someone can provide a good reason for the behavior.)

Thanks!
Richard