[cfe-dev] Preprocessing and whitespace collapsing

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Wed Jan 15 09:13:08 PST 2014

On Jan 14, 2014, at 10:35 , Argyrios Kyrtzidis <akyrtzi at gmail.com> wrote:

>> A) Turn this behavior off with an option?
>
> Yes, with "-traditional-cpp”

Please note that this mode is pretty brittle. -traditional-cpp has a lot of baggage, such as not treating indented "#something" as directives. It's also not fully compatbile with GCC's -traditional-cpp, and continuing to work on it is not something we're really interested in since it can slow down regular preprocessing. (I had to fight with Richard Smith to get a compatibility fix in several months ago, and honestly I tend to agree with him.)

I imagine we'd accept patches to split the whitespace-preserving behavior out from the rest of -traditional-cpp as long as it doesn't slow down the preprocessor.

Jordan