[cfe-dev] Heads up: the -cxx-abi command-line option is gone

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Tue Jan 14 13:19:51 PST 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Devid <DevOmem at web.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> if I understand this correct this mean that it is no longer possible to use
> Itanium ABI on windows ?
> I hope I understand this wrong else this really bad news.
>
> Right now we are using Itanium ABI for clang-cl.exe just because it is
> stable.
> But we are also using it in custom Cling project and there is no easy way
> use (even if it was complete)  MS-ABI.

No, if you want the Itanium C++ ABI, use *-*-mingw32 in the triple.

This change effectively eliminates two possible invalid option combinations:
mingw + -cxx-abi microsoft (silly)
win32 + -cxx-abi itanium (clang's old default)

Both of these ABIs were invalid and subtly broken, as they were a
combination of some C ABI rules covered by the triple and some C++ ABI
rules covered by the other flag.