[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] [Proposal] function attribute to reduce emission of vzeroupper instructions

Gao, Yunzhong yunzhong_gao at playstation.sony.com
Tue Jan 7 16:14:11 PST 2014

Hi Aaron,
Many thanks for your feedback!

I do not have any opinion right now on how this attribute should interact with
the __vectorcall calling convention. I will need to revisit it later.

Regarding the implicit attachment of this attribute, my intention is to only
imply the avx attribute on function definitions. Since the backend can see what
instructions are being generated in the callee, it should be able to make smart
decisions on whether to emit a vzeroupper before the call instruction. In the
above example, foo() would not implicitly carry the avx attribute because the
compiler sees only its declaration.

- Gao