[cfe-dev] Should dump methods be LLVM_ATTRIBUTE_USED only in debug builds?

Nico Weber thakis at chromium.org
Fri Jan 3 10:15:32 PST 2014

Ok, sounds like it's not clear if folks want to have dump methods behind
#ifdef !NDEBUG. Maybe we don't have to resolve that part in this thread

Is there any opposition to replacing the attributes on just the dump
methods with LLVM_DUMP_METHOD? That's a subset of Chandler's change and I
think also what Alp's diff is.

(I don't understand the "This is a problem with 3.5's goal of not using
NDEBUG in headers" – I read the thread about NDEBUG [1], and it seems to be
mostly about abi compat – and a) clang itself isn't deadstripped itself
because plugins b) if stuff in a core binary itself calls a dump method it
won't be stripped anyhows c) the thread at [1] sounded more about abi stuff
like mvars and virtual functions, there's no clear support for the assert
stuff as far as I can tell. So just varying the presence or absence of
attribute((used)) based on NDEBUG sounds fine to me.)

[1]: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/llvm-dev/OvcDArJjrSw/teSzTMugoGcJ