[cfe-dev] MSVC RTTI implementation status

Domagoj Saric domagoj.saric at littleendian.com
Tue Feb 25 06:47:36 PST 2014

On 25.2.2014. 9:56, David Chisnall wrote:
> It would be really nice if you could turn RTTI generation on and off on
> specific classes (and have the setting propagated to inherited classes).  I'm
> working on some code where subclasses of exactly one class want to do
> dynamic_cast, and rather than implementing an ad-hoc RTTI-like mechanism, it
> would be great to just set an attribute saying '[indirect] subclasses of this
> class must have RTTI generated, even if the global setting is not'.

Yes, that'd be great...I pondered such ideas ever since I came across MSVC's
__declspec( novtable ) (which Clang still does not support)...
In fact I consider it a language defect: there should be a standardized way to
turn RTTI on or off on a per class and per hierarchy basis...

--
Domagoj Saric
Software Architect