[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] RFC: Adding __INTEGRATED_ASSEMLER__ macro

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Tue Feb 25 01:39:18 PST 2014

On 25 February 2014 08:45, David Chisnall <David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> If you depend on a particular feature like this, your best bet is to encode the logic in your build configuration system: try to compile a simple file containing pre-UAL syntax assembly and see if it works.  You'll need to encode the fall-back logic in your build system anyway.

I agree this is possibly the best way out. Though, we're talking about
the kernel, and it might be slightly harder than usual to get this
accepted. But that's not an excuse to use clear anti-patterns in a
toolchain.

If you're felling adventurous, you might propose on the binutils list
for some UAL-specific macros to be set by both compilers (and there
may be enough closed-source compiler engineers listening), so the
*feature* checking macro will be widespread.

cheers,
--renato