[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] RFC: Adding __INTEGRATED_ASSEMLER__ macro

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Sun Feb 23 17:18:32 PST 2014

First, I would assume this would be better spelled as:

__has_feature(integrated_assembler)

But I agree with others that "integrated assembler" isn't a feature which
should be observable in source code.

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 4:27 PM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org>wrote:

> On a higher level, there's the quality issue. People should test for
> *behaviour* and *standards* not *tools* or *versions*. So, if my code
> only works on ARM UAL syntax, I should ifdef UAL, not ifdef
> MY_OWN_ASM_VERSION_7.34+. ARM is historically polluted with such
> flags, and they've now created the ACLE (ARM C Language Extensions),
> which moves from architecture version to feature support macros and
> extensions, which means it doesn't really matter what tool you're
> using, if that tool supports feature A, you can use it.

Very much. If we have specific assembler features, we should expose them
through __has_feature, but they should be source code visible features
rather than "my code compiles faster with fewer temporary files" features.