[cfe-dev] r131701 and test/CodeGenObjC/debug-property-synth.m

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 23:15:06 PST 2014

So I'm trying to do some stuff that's affecting .loc directives and came
across a couple of test cases in Clang that, as was the fashion at the
time, test LLVM.

One of them is CodeGenObjC/debug-property-synth.m - which tests a
particular .loc directive. The corresponding change it's meant to test is
r131701, which seems to actually contain two independent changes.
http://llvm.org/viewvc/llvm-project/cfe/trunk/lib/CodeGen/CGObjC.cpp?r1=131373&r2=131701&pathrev=131701&diff_format=h

1) is the change at line 142 (and most of the changes in this patch - to
pass the parameter through) to pass StartLoc instead of OMD->getLocStart()

2) is the change at 492 to use PID instead of PD

The problems I have with upgrading this test is that (1) is untested by
this test file (I would /really/ like to revert this functionality if it's
not tested, because I hate having unjustified complexity in the codebase -
but perhaps you know of a way to test this piece of the patch?)

And (2) has changed a lot since the code was written (139466 addressed the
fixme on the line above 492 - and removed anything that looks remotely like
it). But I assume/hope that (2) is actually what the test case originally
(and still does? maybe?) test.

Should I just remove the test case? Is there a logical way to update it to
test what it was originally intended to test? (is that even still a valid
thing to test after r139466 - I assume so?)

Thanks.

- Dave